Installation of an NBN FTTB Socket Inside an Apartment Unit
In the heart of the Sutherland Shire in the suburb, of Miranda, SECURE A COM was presented with a multifaceted cabling challenge, where a customer was left without any functional sockets in their apartment. This case study delves into the intricate process, problem-solving, and creative innovations that our team applied to accomplish this complex task.
Background and Initial Findings
Upon our first visit to the client’s apartment, we discovered:
- A lack of visible sockets inside the apartment.
- Evidence of a previously existing socket on the kitchen wall, now rendered and concealed.
- The client’s dilemma is between breaking the wall to investigate or installing a new cable.
- The location of the main distribution frame (MDF) is on the floor above the ground floor.
Phase One: Assessment and Planning
Understanding the Structure and Environment
- Apartment Layout: A detailed assessment of the apartment’s layout to understand the best routing for the new cabling.
- Client Requirements: Understanding the client’s aesthetic preferences and functional requirements.
Formulating the Plan
- Option Exploration: Various possibilities were considered, from breaking the wall to finding existing cabling to installing a completely new cable.
- Initial Strategy: The first approach included drilling out, ducting, and a combination of surface and under-carpet work.
Phase Two: Implementation
Ground Floor Setup and Exploration
- Cable Drawing: A draw wire was used initially to explore the best path for the cable.
- Surface Work Considerations: Detailed planning was required to ensure that all the work was done on the surface without damaging existing structures.
Challenges in Ducting and Routing
- Drilling and Ducting Process: Precision was needed to drill and run ducting along the path leading into the apartment.
- Carpet Integration: The plan to put the duct under the carpet required careful consideration to make it unobtrusive and visually appealing.
Change of Plans and Flexibility
The initial strategy was altered to accommodate:
- Aesthetic Concerns: The original plan would look unattractive and out of place in the apartment.
- Time Constraints: The proposed method would consume more time and resources.
- Optimal Solution: The decision to run the cable under the carpet the entire way, maintaining aesthetics and efficiency.
Running Cable Under the Carpet
- Smooth Edge Technique Implementation: The unique technique of running the cable between the underlay and smooth edge ensured that it remained concealed and undamaged.
- Channelling through Underlay: The cable was creatively channelled through the underlay, requiring great skill and precision.
Navigating the Apartment Complexities
- Water Obstacle Navigation: Adjustments were made to overcome water within a section of the planned route.
- Door Frame Challenge: Strategically route the cable above the door frame to enter the apartment while maintaining visual appeal.
Final Connection and Socket Installation
- Running Cable to the Unit: This step involved carefully connecting the cable to the designated unit, including running jumpers.
- Socket Installation with Precision: The last step, socket installation, was completed with meticulous attention to detail, ensuring functionality and visual harmony with the apartment’s interior.
Conclusion: Mastery of Telecommunication Solutions
This Miranda project exemplifies SECURE A COM’s commitment to innovative solutions, technical excellence, and customer satisfaction. Through careful planning, adaptability, and seasoned expertise, we transformed a seemingly ordinary task into a masterpiece of telecommunications engineering.
From the initial inspection to the final installation, every step showcased our dedication to quality, precision, and aesthetic integrity. Whether you require NBN socket installations, data cabling, or fault-finding services, SECURE A COM is your trusted partner in Sydney and the Gold Coast. Contact us at 02 9188 1577, open Monday to Friday from 7 am to 5 pm, for exceptional services tailored to your unique needs.
Head Internet Technician
Jason Kearney is the Head Technician at SECURE A COM, with qualifications spanning NBN, ADSL, phone, and data cabling. Starting as an electrician, Jason quickly delved into the telecommunications sector, leading crucial projects like the rehabilitation of the Telstra network. With credentials in both managerial and technical aspects, he now specialises in phone line and NBN fault location and repair, serving both homes and businesses with effective and personalised telecommunications solutions