NBN Contractor Incorrectly Diagnoses Fault That Could Have Cost Thousands Of Dollars
In the beachside Sydney suburb of Cronulla, a customer faced a perplexing issue with their NBN connection. Having recently moved from Adelaide, they were eager to get their internet up and running. However, a series of missteps by a NBN Contractor left them in a bind. This case study delves into the details of the situation, the diagnosis, and the solution provided by SECURE A COM, Sydney’s number one choice for NBN fault-finding services.
The Customer’s Dilemma
The customer had NBN FTTB, fibre to the basement, with Telstra. An NBN Contractor was called out on a Monday to connect them, but after some poking around, he declared the cables and sockets corroded and left without resolving the issue.
Key Issues Identified
- Three Sockets: The property had three sockets; one in a room, one in another bedroom, and one in the kitchen.
- Technician’s Incompetence: The NBN Contractor spent some time but concluded that nothing could be done due to corroded cables.
- Customer’s Confusion: The customer was advised to get a new cable from the apartment down to the MDF, costing thousands of dollars.
SECURE A COM’s Intervention
The customer reached out to SECURE A COM for assistance. The following steps were taken:
- Initial Assessment: A detailed conversation with the customer raised suspicions about the NBN Contractor’s diagnosis.
- On-Site Inspection: A visit to the property to test the cables and sockets.
- Cable Testing: Using a lines test set, the cables were found to be in perfect condition.
- MDF Verification: A tone was sent down to the MDF to confirm that the cable was reaching there without any issues.
- Socket Inspection: The socket was found to be dusty but not corroded.
- Reconnection: The socket was reconnected, and the cables were fixed.
- No Corroded Cables: The cables were not corroded as initially stated by the technician.
- False Diagnosis: The NBN Contractor’s assessment was either a lie or a sign of incompetence.
- Unnecessary Expenses: The customer was saved from spending thousands of dollars on unnecessary cable replacements.
Table: Summary of Findings
|Issue||Technician's Diagnosis||SECURE A COM's Diagnosis|
|Need for New Cable||Yes||No|
|Customer's Expenses||Thousands of Dollars||Minimal|
This case study highlights the importance of expertise and integrity in the telecommunications industry. The customer’s problem was not as complicated as it was made out to be. With the right knowledge and a genuine desire to help, SECURE A COM was able to diagnose and fix the problem in a matter of minutes.
The incident raises serious questions about the quality of service provided by some technicians and emphasizes the need for proper training and accountability.
Why Choose SECURE A COM?
- Expertise: We fix slow internet, NBN internet dropouts, bridge taps, and more.
- Cost-Effective: We provide solutions that save you money.
- Insured & Qualified: We have all the right qualifications to perform our work.
Head Internet Technician
Jason Kearney is the Head Technician at SECURE A COM, with qualifications spanning NBN, ADSL, phone, and data cabling. Starting as an electrician, Jason quickly delved into the telecommunications sector, leading crucial projects like the rehabilitation of the Telstra network. With credentials in both managerial and technical aspects, he now specialises in phone line and NBN fault location and repair, serving both homes and businesses with effective and personalised telecommunications solutions