NBN Contractor Double Jumper At MDF Causing Bridge Tap
The complex nature of telecommunications often means that even small mistakes can lead to significant disruptions in service. This case study explores how SECURE A COM was able to rectify a complex NBN fault for an iPrimus customer in Newtown, following the failure of previous technicians to identify and resolve the issue.
The Customer’s Challenge
The customer was experiencing a complete loss of NBN service. Despite the deployment of NBN technicians, the issue persisted, causing frustration and disruption. The customer reached out to SECURE A COM for assistance.
Section 1: Understanding the Problem
The Initial Situation
- Location: Newtown
- Customer: iPrimus user, NBN fibre-to-the-node
- Problem: Sudden loss of NBN service
- Previous Efforts: Three visits by NBN technicians without resolution
SECURE A COM’s Initial Assessment
Our technician started the diagnosis by conducting a detailed examination of the MDF (Main Distribution Frame).
Section 2: Discovery and Diagnosis
Identifying the Connections
- Internal Cable: A 50-pair internal cable connecting to an IDF (Internal Distribution Frame).
- Customer’s Pair: Identification of the specific pair leading to the customer’s apartment.
Uncovering the Fault
- The Bridge Tap: Detection of an erroneous connection, known as a bridge tap, where a new set of cables was connected to the customer’s pair.
- Physical Examination: Observation of the older and newer connections.
- Technical Testing: Use of advanced testers to pinpoint the correct pair.
- Confirmation: Utilising a toner to further isolate and confirm the customer’s connection.
Section 3: Resolution and Rectification
The Process of Restoration
- Removing the Incorrect Connection: The new cables were disconnected, eliminating the bridge tap.
- Service Restoration: Speed tests revealed the successful restoration of service (47 down and 22 up).
- Insulation Resistance Testing: Ensuring the integrity of the connection from the socket to the MDF.
Ensuring Customer Satisfaction
- Upstairs Verification: Conducting checks in the customer’s apartment to confirm the restoration of service.
- Communication: Explaining the issue to the customer and assuring them of the full restoration of service.
Section 4: Conclusions and Implications
- Problem Solved: Restoration of the service through precise diagnosis and intervention.
- Time Efficiency: Quick resolution within just 10 minutes of examination.
- Contractor Mistakes: The bridge tap was a mistake made by an NBN contractor.
- Reimbursement Issues: The customer had to bear the cost of our service call and should seek full reimbursement from iPrimus.
SECURE A COM’s Expertise
- In-depth Knowledge: Ability to resolve a complex issue that stumped previous technicians.
- Customer-Centric Approach: Commitment to ensuring customer satisfaction and communication.
This case study showcases SECURE A COM’s in-depth knowledge and expertise in identifying and fixing intricate NBN faults. Our ability to diagnose and rectify issues with speed and accuracy underlines why we are considered one of the best NBN fault-finding services in Sydney.
For the expertise that makes a difference, contact SECURE A COM at 02 9188 1577, open Monday to Friday from 7am till 5pm. Our extensive experience in phone, internet, and data cabling ensures that you’ll receive the best possible service for your telecommunications needs.
Head Internet Technician
Jason Kearney is the Head Technician at SECURE A COM, with qualifications spanning NBN, ADSL, phone, and data cabling. Starting as an electrician, Jason quickly delved into the telecommunications sector, leading crucial projects like the rehabilitation of the Telstra network. With credentials in both managerial and technical aspects, he now specialises in phone line and NBN fault location and repair, serving both homes and businesses with effective and personalised telecommunications solutions